Sunday, July 20, 2014

Be Still...

Psalm 46:10 Be still and know that I am God...

Pastor Doug Domokos reminded us of this verse last Sunday in his sermon about distracted living. But have you ever tried to sit still... silent... focusing on Jesus... only on Jesus? Try it for 20 seconds... Did you count the seconds? Did your mind wander? I know mine does. But don't throw up your hands and say it is impossible...All things are possible with God. Don't say 'I tried that and it didn't work'. With that attitude you would never have learned to read these words. This takes practice and I'm by no means an expert but here are my tips to sitting still and focusing on God.

If you've never done this before I would suggest starting with a favorite praise song that is Jesus focused to listen to. Sit quietly listening and focusing on the song, it's words and Jesus. It's best if the song just ends, if not shut it off and then sit quietly for a moment afterward keeping your mind focused on Jesus.

Read Revelation 4 & 5. These chapters are John's description of the throne room. As you read, form a picture in your mind of what he is describing to draw on when you are sitting still. Focus on this picture as you sit. 

I try to focus on my heart where His Holy Spirit resides and focus on Jesus in my minds eye. I picture Him sitting next to me or standing above me with His hand on my head. Sometimes I see Him sitting in front of me holding my hands, or I imagine myself on His lap with His arms wrapped around me. I have to change things up to keep my mind occupied with Him. And when I realize I'm making a grocery list or replaying a conversation in my head or planning my workday, I will say out loud, "Jesus", to help re-focus on Him.

Sometimes I think about Jesus' attributes. Love, Peace, Truth, Life, Worthy, Faithful, Strong, Mercy, Grace, Righteous, Comforter. Or I think on snippets of scripture. Christ strengthens me. Jesus is truth. Spirit of Love. 

Whatever you do, remember to be gentle with yourself. This is not easy and the Lord knows it; He will appreciate your effort even if you can only focus for a few moments. But don't give up as soon as you realize you've lost your focus, just simply turn your mind back to Jesus. The more times you do this the easier it gets. I wouldn't ever say it is easy, but it does get easier.

And of course ask the Lord to help you on your journey to Him, there is no better tour guide than our Creator.

How do you "be still"? Please comment, I would love the hear how you stay focused on Jesus.


1 comment: